Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My Grievances: Part II-"HAIR-ka-TEL"

It all started when I decided to take a HAIR-ka-TEL postpaid connection. By simple logic of time value of money, a postpaid should any day be preferred over a prepaid (assuming the rental cost is covered by the call rate difference or other discounts). But then simple logic does not always serve the purpose. Practical experience, more often than not, brings out the clear “filthy” picture. And that was the case with me. The RM showed the various plans available and to get all the required documents. The SIM card was provided on the same day and it was promised to activate the number within four hours. An upfront fee of 500 was charged towards activation. The SIM got activated the next day. The RM came again to take my signature on some document that he missed the day before. But before the poor RM could submit the missing document the HAIR-ka-TEL people found out the mistake and as per their policy of “Zero Errors” my number was blocked. (They must have found out that I was talking way too much on the phone and hence, as a CSR commitment, they blocked my number so as to protect me from excess exposure to electro-magnetic radiations). The number was activated the next day. I again started to exceed the maximum allowable “exposure” limit. This was the limit, of their tolerance. So they found out another way to treat me a lesson. They blocked my account, again, on account of address verification failure. (They actually visited my apartment, “during office hours”, only to find out the care-taker, who confirmed me residing there. But how can they believe him; I should have been there to confirm) So, I was again saved from excess EM radiations. Thanks HAIR-ka-TEL-“the super saviours”.
After 2-3 days they finally verified my residence and my number was up again. Soon the credit limit of 500 was breached and I was told to pay up within 6 hours. (Remember it is a postpaid and I have already paid 500+500=1000 even when I have used only half of this amount). I had to pay.
Since they also care about customers’ family and friends so they increased my credit limit to 1200 so as to enable me “discontinued talktime” for a longer duration. And I breached that limit too!
The next month they again lowered my credit limit to 500 so as to keep a check on my exposure to EM radiations. And on my payment they again realised the customers’ need to socialize and hence again increased the credit limit to 1200. As always I again breached the limit. So I got a message to pay within 24 hours. But I being a lazy guy paid only after 20 hours when I found out that my number was already blocked, AGAIN! (I think they thought that this guy is not going to pay and hence decided to block before the stipulated time; just to be “proactive”)
In between all this blocking-unblocking, my first bill arrived. The RM had given me a hard copy of the bill plan which mentioned two discounts- some local minutes at lower rate “AND” a double digit discount on billed amount. (Please note the AND operator). HAIR-ka-TEL also provided me with the bill plan which mentioned the above discounts in slightly tricky manner as below. The catch was to be found out only later.


So the catch was found out when I received the bill. I was given only the discounted local mins (that worked out to a hefty SEVEN rupees!). Just to mention, the discount billing amounted to a meagre amount of approx. 300 bucks; and that was not provided. So I inquired. I was told that “only one of the above two discounts” was applicable and “I” have chosen the local mins one (It was only then that I got to know that I had supposedly chosen the local mins options. May be they had done a deal with me in my dreams or nightmare as you call it). As of now the talks are on, let’s see where it ends.
BTW there’s one more CSR initiative being undertaken by the company. They are providing switching signals (switching on/off at the frequency of 1 switching every 2 mins) in my area. This reduces continuous exposure to EM radiations and hence keeps the exposure under control. The way it works is that whenever you make a call or receive one, within 2-3 minutes the call gets disconnected. You dial again, it disconnects again. And out of frustration you have to limit an half hour talk to 4 or 5 two minutes call.
I was happy with the prepaid connection and then I applied logic of time value of money.

1 comments:

Ayush Jain said...

Good going Solanki!!!
Another strong message on how these buggers make money by making a fool of customers!